Monday, February 29, 2016

Book Review: The Deal (Off-Campus, #1)

About The Book:
  
  Title: The Deal
  Author: Elle Kennedy 
  Pub. Date: February 24th, 2015
  Publisher: CreateSpace
  Pages: 358 
  Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance 
  Rate: 4/5 stars





Synopsis :

She’s about to make a deal with the college bad boy... 

Hannah Wells has finally found someone who turns her on. But while she might be confident in every other area of her life, she’s carting around a full set of baggage when it comes to sex and seduction. If she wants to get her crush’s attention, she’ll have to step out of her comfort zone and make him take notice…even if it means tutoring the annoying, childish, cocky captain of the hockey team in exchange for a pretend date. 

...and it’s going to be oh so good. 

All Garrett Graham has ever wanted is to play professional hockey after graduation, but his plummeting GPA is threatening everything he’s worked so hard for. If helping a sarcastic brunette make another guy jealous will help him secure his position on the team, he’s all for it. But when one unexpected kiss leads to the wildest sex of both their lives, it doesn’t take long for Garrett to realize that pretend isn’t going to cut it. Now he just has to convince Hannah that the man she wants looks a lot like him
Review:

I had the pleasure of buddy reading The Deal in January with my amazing blogger friends Blessie from Mischievous Reads and Tika from FANGIRL confessions. This is one of Blessie's favorite books so I was really excited to see what she liked so much about it since she has fantastic taste in books! 



“Sometimes people sneak up on you and suddenly you 
don’t know how you ever lived without them.” 

I think the synopsis of the book describes the plot pretty well. However, I actually didn't even read the synopsis of the book before I started reading it. So, in the beginning when Hannah was interested in Justin I actually thought he was going to be in the lead guy character. Until I see Garret's point of view pop up and I was like hold up a second... In any event, I did go back and read the synopsis because I was confused by the whole Justin/Garret thing. One of my favorite things about this book was that it was pretty realistic as far as "college books" go. By that I mean they didn't skip much class which is something I hate when they do in books. Like, that literally is the most unrealistic thing ever and not how college is at all. However, it did seem to me that they did only have like 2 classes? I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into it... 

Hannah was a pretty decent NA main character. I really admired the fact that she put her schoolwork before everything else, even guys. However, she did get on my nerves at times. I didn't like how she eventually was stringing Garret along when she admitted it was wrong. I don't think I would have minded that much if I would have liked her personality substantially more but she was just overall a plain kind of girl so I didn't really feel the need for her to do that to him. I loved Garret! He was one of the funniest characters, and I really enjoyed his perspective. He was tough, sexy, and protective without coming across and broody and rude. He cared about his friends, his school work, and wasn't a huge douche canoe like a lot of your typical sports leads. 


”I know you’re into me, Wellsy. And I’m definitely into you. 
Would it really be so bad if we made this thing official?”

Overall, I really enjoyed The Deal. I think it was romantic, funny, and an overall great New Adult title. I'd recommend this book to fans of Colleen Hoover and K.A. Tucker. Sometimes I really get in the mood to read a New Adult book and I think The Deal is just what I needed. Especially when sometimes I get into YA funks where I just feel like I need something totally different from them! I definitely think that if you are a fan of New Adult books that The Deal is a must read! 



- Jocelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment