Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Book Review: Never Never (Parts 1-3)

About the Book:
Never Never (Never Never, #1)Title: Never Never (Parts 1-3)
Author: Colleen Hoover & Tarryn Fisher
Publication Date: Jan. 19, 2016 (date of Part 3 release)
Publisher: Createspace 
Pages: Part 1- 159; Part 2- 158; Part 3- 95 
Rating: 4/5 stars (average of the 3 parts)





Synopsis:
Part 1

Best friends since they could walk. In love since the age of fourteen.

Complete strangers since this morning.

He'll do anything to remember. She'll do anything to forget.

Part 2

Silas races against time as more truths unravel, while others twist tighter together. And now, the stakes are higher as Silas’ control slips and others begin to point fingers. Charlie is in trouble and he must be the one to bridge the chasm between their past and their present. Because somewhere between I love yous and Never Nevers and Never Agains, a truth they can't imagine, beckons to be found. 

Part 3

Together, Silas Nash and Charlize Wynwood must look deeper into the past to find out who they were and who they want to be. With time ticking down, the couple are in a race to find the answers they need before they lose everything. Can they regain what they once had? And will it restore who they once were?

Review:
So this review is going to be kind of different in that I wanted to show all of you awesome followers my thoughts on each individual novella.  I was originally going to combine this into one review for all of the books, but then I thought that this way you could see the evolution of my thoughts over the course of the series. So let's begin!!
Part 1
It is best to go into this book completely blind, not knowing what to expect. Trust me on this. Because of that, I'm not going to go into any plot details or too into the characters. However, what I will say is that I was utterly captivated after the first page, and I couldn't put it down. I read till the very end, and now desperately want the next book in this series. 

Originally this was only going to be one book, however the ever delightful and talented Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher decided to expand it into a series. Let's just say you'll be extremely happy with that decision. This wonderfully unique novel is a mix of mystery, romance, intrigue, the list goes on. I honestly had no idea what to expect when reading each page, and that made the excitement of reading this book all the better. Now you're going to say, I heard there was some sort of paranormal element to this story...Well, there is, but not in the way you would expect. I will tell you this, nothing is actually confirmed in this novel in regards to what is going on, however I think you will have your suspicions, just like me. I have an inkling about what could possibly happened, but knowing Colleen and Tarryn, it's going to be the last thing you suspect.

The one thing that I greatly enjoyed about this novel was how as you read, you find out things about the characters. You feel like you are part of their search to remember, and while this doesn't usually work in many books, with these 2 talented authors, it is done exceptionally. This is truly a unique and creative novel that is not to be missed. It is suspenseful, thrilling, and will leave you longing for the next part in the series. Your head will be filled with so many theories by the end that you won't know up from down...and you'll love every single minute of it. This is a definite must read for fans of either author, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

Rating: 5/5 stars

Part 2
My mind is blown! Collen Hoover never fails write an amazing story. This second part in the Never Never series is something you don't want to miss out on. I honestly think I enjoyed this one even more than the first part. You are on the edge of your seat, and we are getting closer and closer to the truth. I definitely didn't see that ending coming and I need the next installment in this series now! I can't wait to see what happens in part 3!

Rating: 5/5 stars

Part 3
I'm actually kind of at a loss for words with this because I was expecting so much more from this ending. The first 2 parts were thrilling for me, and both authors combined their writing styles effortlessly to produce an exciting, mysterious story. However, I don't know what happened with this novella, but I was left very disappointed in the conclusion. This novella wasn't written poorly by any means, and it was still very good, but the story that was set up in the previous 2 novellas just didn't match up with the story that was written here. Both authors know how to drop major bombshells in their books, so I was expecting the same with this novella too. Unfortunately, the "reveal" wasn't anything that shocking (at least to me), and I was so let down by it. 

On top of that I wasn't all that happy with the epilogue either. At first, I was a bit confused, but then I re-read it and understood it fine. The problem I had was that it didn't answer 2 big questions I still had by the end: 1) Is this a curse? 2) And if it is, who cursed them? There were some other parts of the story in the previous parts that weren't touched upon either, so I don't know if these things fell through the cracks or if they just were ultimately considered not important. 

The story wasn't all bad. In fact, it was great. I loved Silas in this part more so than the other two, and the scenes where he was making Charlie "fall in love with him" were so adorable. I was smiling so much during that entire part because those scenes showed how much those two belong together.

While it kills me to give a book by Colleen Hoover less than 4 stars, I feel like I have to because this just did not live up to my expectations. It is still worth the read, but I didn't like the direction the story went as I expected so much more. 

Rating: 3/5 stars

Average Rating:



Happy reading :)

~Cassie

2 comments:

  1. I kind of hate that the last book didn't get as high of a rating. It makes me think the conclusion wasn't all that great. I did win book one in a giveaway on FB so I'll be checking it out. I hope I love the entire series. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The conclusion definitely wasn't all that great in my opinion, but I know a lot of people were happy with the direction it took. So it's worth a shot!

      ~Cassie

      Delete