Friday, March 6, 2015

Ugly Love

You know what my biggest problem with romance novels is? The plot - or should I say lack thereof. So, I usually steer clear of them! I stick with science fiction, fantasy, contemporary, and I even like to venture into paranormal romance sometimes. Regular romance novels just seem like variations of each other to me. The stories may differ slightly, but the outcome is always the same.

Everyone is raving about Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover, even people with opinions that I care about. Do you know what happened the last time I read a romance book just because everyone was talking about it? It was 50 Shades of Grey and it didn’t impress me. I mean it wasn’t AWFUL but it was just blah. So I figure, what is the worse that can happen? I’ll just hate the book and no longer trust my friends’ opinions of books anymore. Whatever. So I read this book.


….and I figured out what the worse thing that can happen was. My heart could have shattered into a million pieces and I'll never know what to read again because this book was so beautiful and how can anything ever compare. That's what happened. I wasn't expecting that at all, I was expecting 50 Shades of Grey 2.0. Here is the description for the book: 

"When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she doesn't think it's love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.
Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.
Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly."

Seems simple enough, right? WRONG. Nothing about this book is simple. My heart broke the entire book. I couldn't even grasp my feelings. You know when you really like a character and their heart is breaking so yours does too and you just feel it in your stomach - yeah it felt that way the entire book! Miles has this messy backstory which is why he doesn't want anything more and it's told SO well. I'm trying not to fangirl all over the place here but it was just really good. It's told in parallels with his past and what's happening in the present so you know why he is the way he is. You can almost guess what is coming to him in his backstory and that's why it just breaks your heart into little tiny pieces. I thought maybe he'd have some Christian Grey mommy issues, not this heart wrenching reason that would break my heart. I wasn't prepared. 


Will I ever be emotionally ok again? Remains to be seen. Bottom line - if you want to read a steamy story while simultaneously running your heart through a meat grinder, this book is for you! Seriously, read this book. I'm serious. 


Also, I just found out that there will be a movie in 2016 and meet Nick Bateman playing Miles Archer: 




4 comments:

  1. Oh no. Hahaha! The last time I read a book that made me feel that way, it put me into a long book slump because I couldn't find any other books that could compare. I DNFed 5 books before I gave up on reading for a while. I know I HAVE to read Ugly Love, but I'm scared! Haha! Awesome review!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely have to read it!! It took me about a day before I could actually pick up another book because I wasn't emotionally ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah man this book was amazing! It's my favorite Colleen Hoover book so far. Well, that doesn't even count because I read Slammed, but DNF'd it around 30 pages because of Will and Layken's " Insta-Attraction ". I don't play that insta shit girl lol. But anywho, Miles's backstory broke my heart! I think it was because I didn't see it coming, I knew something was up but not that! Great review girl, you'll see alot of me from now on lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the only Colleen Hoover book I've ever read but I'm definitely excited to read some more now!

    ReplyDelete