Sunday, March 15, 2015

99 Days

99 Days: Katie Cotugno
Publication Date: April 21st 
Molly Barlow is facing one long, hot summer—99 days—with the boy whose heart she broke and the boy she broke it for . . . his brother.
Day 1: Julia Donnelly eggs my house my first night back in Star Lake, and that's how I know everyone still remembers everything. She has every right to hate me, of course: I broke Patrick Donnelly's heart the night everything happened with his brother, Gabe. Now I'm serving out my summer like a jail sentence: Just ninety-nine days till I can leave for college and be done.
Day 4: A nasty note on my windshield makes it clear Julia isn't finished. I'm expecting a fight when someone taps me on the shoulder, but it's just Gabe, home from college and actually happy to see me. "For what it's worth, Molly Barlow," he says, "I'm really glad you're back."
Day 12: Gabe wouldn't quit till he got me to come to this party, and I'm surprised to find I'm actually having fun. I think he's about to kiss me—and that's when I see Patrick. My Patrick, who's supposed to be clear across the country. My Patrick, who's never going to forgive me.

This book was pretty awkward to read. I can’t really say much about the plot without giving anything away so I’ll only tell things that won’t spoil the book. Molly Barlow was dating Patrick Donnelly since forever. Then, one day sophomore year she slept with his brother, Gabe. Molly told her mom everything that happened between them, and she turned it into a bestselling book! Molly moved away to a boarding school and now she is back for the summer, and everyone is still hating on her.

So, right from the start you know this story is about cheating. I don’t even really think it’s about cheating, I think it’s about the double standards surrounding cheating. I guess if you are sensitive to that then probably don’t read it. It was hard getting attached to the main character. I really didn't want to feel bad for her in the very beginning because I think what she did was wrong. However, how everyone was treating her was wrong too. It was brutal bullying and it was just unfair to her because they weren't treating Gabe the same way. I kept thinking to myself the whole time, "jeeze this is why people commit suicide". 


Overall, I felt the plot was alright. It was intriguing enough for me to keep going, and there really wasn't any point in which I had that "is this over yet" feeling. But the ending just kind of fell really flat for me. I didn't think it should have ended the way it did, it was just dull. I think this book should have had a little more about Molly Barlow realizing what she did was wrong, and reflecting on it. She wasn't a perfect main character and I never wanted her to be one - I even like main characters with a lot of flaws.  But there should have been some point for her to say "when is enough, enough?".  

"I never felt stuck or cut off or like there was other stuff I'd rather be doing, never felt like there was anyplace else I'd rather be. At least, not until the moment it did."

I think the one thing that saved me from giving this book a lower rating was how funny the characters were. They had really witty comebacks and they were just really likable people despite all of the drama that was surrounding them. I could visualize them very well as well as the town they live in and that is very important to me when reading a book. 


"'Hey, stranger,' he says as I climb into the passenger seat, in a voice like I'm not one at all. 'Wreck any homes today?' I snort. 'Not yet, I assure him, rolling my eyes as I buckle my seat belt. 'But, you know. It's early.'" 

The book as a whole was alright, it wasn’t my favorite but I wasn’t struggling to read it. For a contemporary standalone novel, I just feel the ending should have had more of a sense of finality. I really enjoyed the characters as well as the town they lived in. I give the book 3.5 stars and I'd recommend it if you're looking for an easy read, but it wouldn't be the first book I'd recommend. 


5 comments:

  1. Oh my God, now I really want to read this book! HAHA. Throughout the whole time I was reading your review, I'm just like "WHY would Molly cheat on Patrick? What made her sleep with Gabe?" So now, I guess I have to get that book HAHAH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, then you should totally read it! :) Plus the characters are really really funny!

      Delete
  2. I feel horribly drawn to this book. I have a love-hate relationship with these stories where everything is doomed since someone already did something wrong and isn't going to be able to change it. I feel like this is the sort of story that I would love to stress about as I read through it. If Molly isn't, at some point, repentant, though, I feel like she would be a very hard character to sympathize with, let alone relate to.

    However, I really love the X number of days structure. Whether they're linear like Looking for Alaska or nonlinear like 500 Days of Summer, it can be really fun to think "oh, I know exactly how long this is going to go for and what kind of story arc must fit within these confines" and then watch the author defy all your expectations of what can really happen in just 99 days or what have you :)

    I'll keep my eyes pealed for this one. I'm smart enough to keep this sort of drama out of my life, so there's sometimes a distinct pleasure in watching it's consequences unfold on silly people in books. Especially if they have a sense of humor about it like these characters seem to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're review of this book is lovely! I like your honesty! Hopefully I'll get a chance to read it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, I think this book is definitely hard to recommend because I know a lot of people who loved it and a lot of people who didn't much care for it! I guess it just depends on how you feel about characters lying to each other and cheating throughout the book!

      Delete