Thursday, March 12, 2015

Angelfall



Well – Angelfall by Susan Ee was kickass! The angels just came down and destroyed the whole entire world. Now, people are basically savages doing anything they can to survive. The main character, Penryn lives with her mom and her paralyzed sister. When they are trying to make it to the highway, fighting angels land right in front of them. It’s a 10 on 1 fight and when the group of angels cut off the lone angels wings, Penryn’s sister makes a sound. So – they fly away with her. Penryn does the only thing she thinks will help, she scoops up the wingless angel in her sisters wheel chair because she thinks he can take her to where they are taking her sister.

One thing that immediately shocked me about this book was how well researched it was. The angels had biblical names so it was all very realistic. They talked about Gabriel the messenger of God - that immediately made me like the book so much more. It just makes it more real, because I can relate it to things I have always known about angels.

“When I was little, I always thought I’d be Cinderella, but I guess this makes me the wicked witch. But then again, Cinderella didn’t live in a post-apocalypic world invaded by avenging angels.”

This book is so good. I can’t tell if I like the angels or not. They are described as essentially otherworldly hot, but at the same time they are also really bad. I'm probably gonna go with no, or it's circumstantial because I like a few of the angels but I don't like most of them. 

“They’re all wide and solid, every graceful move, every casual bulge of muscle, declaring them to be athletes. No, athletes isn’t quite right. Warriors is the word that rattles around in my brain.”

Penryn's family was so perfectly written. I feel like I know them. Her mom is crazy. Basically, they live in Crazytown and her mom is campaigning to be the mayor. How does Penryn know her mom is around? A corpse is messed with, yep - her mom likes to play with dead people! She has some sort of psychological problem I would guess, and since the world is in an apocalypse she has no way of getting medicine anymore. It is implied that it is her moms fault why Penryn's sister is paralyzed, but it's never said for sure. 


“Six butter knives stick out of his flesh in a circular pattern. Someone has drawn a powder-pink lipstick pentagram with the knives at the endpoints.”

In other words, I think this book was amazing. There were times throughout the book I caught myself thinking "maybe I should have like an underground bunker and start storing food in it or something just incase an apocalypse ever happens" then I'm like … "what am I saying?!?!". I thought I was going insane. It had everything I like in a book, it wasn't focused around romance but it had just enough of it. I'd definitely recommend Angelfall to anyone who likes young adult fiction. I give it 5 stars - and I'm excited to read World After, which is the second book in the Penryn & the End of Days series. 


2 comments:

  1. I have this one sitting on my TBR shelf, waiting to be read. Glad you liked it, hopefully I get to join the club soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I've been wanting to read this for a while now, and your great review has just reinforced that :)

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.com/2015/03/review-aranya-shapeshifter-dragons-1-by.html

    ReplyDelete