Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Book Review: A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2)


About the Book:

A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
Title: A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Pub. Date: May 3, 2016
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA 
Pages: 640 
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance, Retellings 
Rating: 5/5 stars




Synopsis:

Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.

Review:

description

I seriously don't even know where to begin with this review because all I want to do is fangirl so hard over how much I ADORED this book! Seriously people...every single word, every single scene is so gorgeously written and breathtaking that I had to stop multiple times while I was reading just to admire and appreciate what I just read. This book was absolutely excellent on so many levels that no words can do it justice (but I'm going to try because this is a review after all haha). I don't think it's any secret that Sarah J. Maas is an amazeballs author, but in case you need a reminder, just read this book and you will see the supreme talent this woman has. She could write a phone book and I would read it because somehow even that would be an amazing read. I've only said this about 1 or 2 other authors, but it's completely true. 

“There are different kinds of darkness,” Rhys said. I kept my eyes shut. “There is the darkness that frightens, the darkness that soothes, the darkness that is restful.” I pictured each.
 “There is the darkness of lovers, and the darkness of assassins. It becomes what the bearer wishes it to be, needs it to be. It is not wholly bad or good.” 

This book made me feel so many different things at once, and literally it has it ALL! There are amazing twists, snarky banter, beautiful writing, and just plain badass, awesome characters that you want to be best friends with. After finishing this book all I want to do is be in the Night Court and be apart of Rhysand's inner circle. It's probably unhealthy how badly I want this to happen right now. But even more, SJM wrote scenes bursting with heart-pounding action, swoonworthy romance (which be warned, will leaving you squeeing), and female empowerment...GAH! I NEVER wanted to stop reading. But you know what I loved the most? Even though this story is a romance, it is also a story of self-discovery. 

“I was not a pet, not a doll, not an animal. 
I was a survivor, and I was strong.
I would not be weak, or helpless again
I would not, could not be broken.” 

Feyre goes through so much and is incredibly strong. She is extremely relatable because even though she loses herself for a bit, she finds that inner fire that she once had and it causes a spark to ignite within her. She becomes even more amazing than her character was previously, and finds herself on her own. Feyre is such an admirable and relatable character. I mean who among us hasn't felt lost at one point or the other in their life?? Feyre shows everyone that you have to look inside yourself and find your own inner strength to rise above and accept the past, and never let that thing that caused you to be lost define you. We need to embrace the pain and the anguish that came with the hand life has dealt, and choose to move forward in life...or we will remain lost. The character development for Feyre was seriously one of the best character development's I have ever read, and I think SJM deserves a HUGE round of applause for giving all readers this character. She becomes stronger and more determined than ever to accomplish what she has set out to do. All the while she remains the stubborn and sassy character we love. 

“I was not prey any longer, I decided as I eased up to that door. 
And I was not a mouse.
I was a wolf.” 

Rhysand...literally I have no words for my love. My heart (and ovaries) were literally bursting with every word he said. He broke my heart multiple times, and there was one scene in particular where I was gross sobbing when he was revealing things to Feyre. He still remains that mysterious Dark Lord, but we are able to understand and see so much more of him than ever before. Like Feyre, Rhys grew so much in this novel, and I loved watching how he became a little less broken due to Feyre's presence in his life. Feyre provides a nice balance to Rhys, and they're banter is like no other. We all know how shameless a flirt Rhys is, but boy does he step it up in this book...and I loved every single second of it. He had me laughing so hard countless times, and I can't even tell you how much I love him. 

description

description

The world that SJM has created is simply phenomenal, and I seriously don't know how she came up with her ideas, but let's just thank whoever that she did. There is so much to this world that we didn't know, and I loved learning so many new things over the course of the book. We visit more courts and see different races. We see the political uneasiness that ultimately exists in this world, and how alliances can change at the drop of a hat. And then comes the ending...it is brutal and ripped my heart out, but it left me begging for more! For the entire conclusion I basically had my jaw permanently dropped and then my heart torn out because of the events that SJM wrote. But all I know is that I can't wait to see where she takes this series in the next book because there are truly endless possibilities! 

“To the stars who listen—and the dreams that are answered.” 

If you couldn't tell already, you need to read this book as soon as possible because this is the best book of 2016 so far!


Happy reading :)

~Cassie

3 comments:

  1. This is definitely my favorite book of 2016 as well. It just afdiahgangnsa it did things to me. I need the next book in my life and it needs to be like 800 pages long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite book so far this year! It may be one of my all time favs too haha. I love Rhysand omg this book was so good! I love that there are more and more people I can just flail around with lol. Great review.

    Christina @ Books & Prejudice

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does Sarah Maas do this??? I need to read this series ASAP. She's just a goddess. GODDESS.
    Loved the review!
    Kate @Read and Dream

    ReplyDelete