Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Book Review: The Vanishing Throne (The Falconer #2)

The Vanishing Throne (The Falconer, #2)About the Book:
Title: The Vanishing Throne (The Falconer #2)
Author: Elizabeth May
Pub. Date: June 21, 2016
Publisher: Gollancz
Pages: 362
Rating: 5/5 stars




Synopsis:
My name is Lady Aileana Kameron. 

First the fae murdered my mother. Then they destroyed my world.

Now I’m fighting for more than revenge.

Aileana took a stand against the Wild Hunt, and she lost everything: her home, her family and her friends. Held captive by her enemy, and tormenting herself over her failure, escape seems like only the faintest possibility. But when she gets her chance, she seizes it . . . to rejoin a world devastated by war.

The future is bleak. Hunted by the fae, running for her life, Aileana has only a few options left. Trying to become part of a society scarred by – and hiding from – the Wild Hunt; trusting that a fragile alliance with the fae will save her; or walking the most dangerous path at all: coming in to her own powers as the last of the Falconers . . .

Review:

description

Listen up people...this is the perfect example of how a sequel is done! After a 3 year wait (which was an excruciating torture might I add), Elizabeth May delivered one of the best books (and sequels) I have ever read, and I honestly don't know how I'm going to wait an entire year for the final book to come out. Just a little background before I fully discuss this amazing book....I read The Falconer as soon as it came out back in 2013. I thought it sounded so amazing in fact that I ordered it from the UK and paid the extra money to get in my hands as soon as possible. I devoured that book in 1 sitting because it was simply one of the most enthralling books I had read up until that point. I became a huge fan of Ms. May after reading her book, and was desperate to read the second. Unfortunately, there were some things that prevented the sequel from being released, but I completely understood. We all go through things in life, and I sat in eager anticipation of the day that I could pre-order The Vanishing Throne. When that day finally came, and then the book finally arrived at my door, I can't even tell you the excitement I felt. But then I got worried....what if all of this build up will ruin this book for me. After all, it wouldn't have been the first time this happened. I get overly excited and then am let down. Even though I was beyond ecstatic to read this installment in the Falconer series, I went in with a bit of trepidation. However, as soon as I read the first page and was plunged right back into this world, I knew that I had nothing to fear. Elizabeth May, in all of her beauty and general overall amazing-ness, crafted yet another fantastic read that swept me off my feet and never let me go.

“We burn bright, and we burn out. That’s what it means to be human.” 

This book is hauntingly beautiful and filled to the brim with tragedy, love, and hope. I honestly can't even begin to describe all of the feelings I had while reading this book. I laughed, I cried, and then kept crying, and then stared in shock because of the brutal ending. This is such a gut-wrenching read because you become fully immersed in this world. The characters become your friends, and it didn't even seem like 3 years has gone by since I last met these characters. The character development in this novel is utterly brilliant and some of the best I have ever read. These characters go through so much--the pain and guilt over being apart of the events of the last novel and thus their repercussions, the love they have fought so hard for, and having to deal with the mystery that is their future. Every single emotion was so tangible and it made the experience of reading so much better. I felt every single thing these characters were feeling, and my heart broke over and over again. 

“I’m not a creature of vengeance any more. I’m not just the girl whose gift is chaos. I’m the girl who endured.” 

This book picks up right where we left off in The Falconer, however, every single character is changed drastically. Aileana is forced to bear a heavy weight knowing that her actions caused supreme devastation to her friends, family, and country. And let's just say that the others around her don't make it easy for Aileana either. She is consumed with feelings of guilt and is trying to find a way to accept herself. You easily felt every single moment of despair and remorse, and it made you love her character that much more. The struggle she endures throughout this novel is incredibly realistic, and you forget that she's not an actual person. Aileana simply wants to try and get past the violent feelings she is possessing because of the destruction those feelings have caused, but this journey is not an easy one for her. But through it all, she comes out even better than before, learning to accept not only herself for who she is, but her role in this seemingly grim future.

“Perhaps he’s my curse. Perhaps I’m his weakness. Together we left the world in ruins.” 

Aithinne was such an amazing addition to this story, and I loved the role she had in supporting and helping Aileana. They are similar in many ways, and they helped mend each other. Aileana and Aithinne are both survivors, and allowed the other to see the broken parts of their souls. But both made the other realize that those broken pieces can be made whole again, you just need the right people by your side. Their friendship is truly something special. I fell even harder for Kiaran in this book than I did the last. He remained a mystery to us in the first book, but in this novel, Elizabeth May allowed us to see deeper into his character and explore who exactly Kiaran is. We learn about his past and why he is the way he is. We see his love for Aileana shine through, and it was both heart-melting and heart-breaking. You'll understand why I say this after you read the book. There were so many scenes between them that I sat and re-read because they were so gorgeously written. I adored the vulnerable sides that both Aileana and Kiaran showed to each other, and it is incredibly clear that they are meant to be together. Just as Aithinne helped Aileana through her struggle, Kiaran helped as well. And it made their relationship into something even more beautiful. 

description

description

I highly recommend reading this book if you are a fan of the series. Elizabeth May delivered a magnificent sequel that will leave all readers desperate for more. The fae mythology is expanded upon much more than the first book and makes the story utterly enticing to read. Even though the book is a bit eerie/gloomy, it is what was expected after the ending of The Falconer. I honestly can't wait for the third and final novel in this amazing trilogy, and next year can't get here soon enough! Go read this now!!


Happy reading :)

~Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment