Monday, December 14, 2015

ARC Review: Thicker Than Water

About The Book:

 
  Title: Thicker Than Water
  Author: Kelly Fiore
  Pub. Date: January 5th, 2015
  Publisher: Harper Teen
  Pages: 360
  Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Social Issues, Substance Abuse
  Rate: 3/5 stars



Synopsis :

Cecelia Price killed her brother. At least, that’s what the police and the district attorney are saying. And although Cecelia is now locked up and forced into treatment, she knows the real story is much more complicated.

Cyrus wasn’t always the drug-addled monster he’d become. He was a successful athlete, but when an injury forced him off the soccer field and onto pain medication, his life became a blur of anger, addiction, and violence. All CeCe could do was stand by and watch, until she realized one effective way to take away her brother’s drugs while earning the money she needed for college: selling the pills.

Soon, CeCe becomes part drug dealer, part honor student. But even when all she wants is to make things right, she learns that sometimes the best intentions lead to the worst possible outcome.

Review:

“I regret being born."

Thicker Than Water was a unique topic. I can honestly say that I've never read a book like it before. The description is pretty spot on. Cyrus's injury sparks a dependency on prescription pain killers, all the while his family is falling apart both financially and emotionally. The story is told in alternating present and past perspectives from Cyrus's sister, CeCe's point of view. Watching a boy spiral into a prescription medication addiction makes Thicker Than Water truly a chilling story.

“The thing about honesty, though, is that it's a deluge, not a drip.
Once you stop, the release turns to relief so quickly, you hardly remember what you've said."

Fan Cast of CeCe:
Emily Browning
I liked CeCe. I didn't love her, I didn't hate her - I just liked her. I definitely felt sorry for her and what she was going through, but I didn't feel connected to her, do you know what I mean? She started drug dealing to take care of her family yet none of her family felt grateful that she was trying to help them. I actually ended up getting a little frustrated with her because she just wanted to appease those around her, even if she knew what she was doing was wrong. Honestly, I wish she just would have left home to stay with a friend or something because her home environment was NOT healthy. I'd like to learn more about Cyrus's character. Yes, he had a drug problem. Yes, he used to be an athlete. And Yes, he used to treat his sister with respect and appreciation. But what happens in-between? I understand Thicker Than Water is about CeCe's perspective, but I would have liked to get a little perspective from Cyrus as well. However, even without Cyrus's perspective I thought he was a very well-developed character.

“Regret forces us to relive the moments we hate the most- the moments that drove us 
into spiraling downfalls, the moments where we stopped living and started surviving."

The writing is beautiful, and I think every character contributed something to the importance of the story. Overall, I think Thicker Than Water was a worthwhile read. I've never read Ellen Hopkins, which the blurbs of this book mention will appeal to fans of. So maybe if you are a fan of Ellen Hopkins I'd recommend this book to you. This book is a darker contemporary and shows what can happen when prescription medicine goes wrong. While I did like the book, it wasn't a new favorite of mine. However, it might be a new favorite of yours so I urge you to read it if you think it's something that interests you. Kelly Fiore is an author to watch out for. With her beautiful writing, I'm sure she will touch the hearts of numerous readers.


- Jocelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment