Friday, October 2, 2015

Book Review: Begging for it (Asking for It, #2)

Begging for It (Asking for It, #2): Lilah Pace

Some secrets should only be shared in the dark.

Jonah and Vivienne’s erotic bond—living out raw scenarios of captivity and force—began as no-strings sex between strangers who shared the same desires. Now the intimacy between them is turning into love, but it’s a love built on fantasies so extreme that exploring them makes guilt inescapable. But the risks they're taking are far more dangerous than they'd imagined.

A stalker is terrorizing the city, and one of Jonah’s ex-lovers names him as a potential suspect to the police. Standing by a man under suspicion could cost Vivienne everything. But when Jonah’s stepfather takes advantage of the scandal to seize control of the Marks family fortune, Vivienne is drawn into her lover’s broken family and twisted past. Only then will she learn how dark the truth really is


I was a huge fan of Asking for It. It was original - the MC wasn't a doormat or a pushover like most girls in romance novels. I really feel like a second book hurt this series more than helped it because I was more of a fan of the characters at the end of the first book than when I finished this. 


“That's how Vikings used to rape their captives. I read it once. Never stopped thinking about it.”


We meet Jonah's family, who I actually like. I would read a book about them if they ever branch off like in the Beautiful series. Interestingly, I liked his family better than both Jonah and Vivienne. The romance was  alright. It wasn't as electric as the first book. Vivienne's desperateness really killed the mood as far as their relationship goes. She was a stage 5 clinger, and comes on - nobody likes that!! 

One of the many things I didn't like in this book was how manipulating Vivienne was. She thinks that she can get everyone to do what they want through manipulations and ultimatums. She wined, she pleaded, and she was really freaking annoying! Jonah was ok. What really annoyed me was you never know what he's thinking and this was supposed to be "his book". He just went through the motions. There was a time at the end where you know what he was feeling but I wanted to see what he was feeling throughout the entire book. I feel like the conclusion to the situation was a really big copout. I won't spoil what happens at the end but I just would have rathered it ended a different a way. It was so predictable that it literally hurt. *sigh* 


“If I love this man - and I do - then somehow I have to learn to accept this.
But I feel so cheated, so deprived, and even angry…"


So basically this wasn't a winner for me. If Lilah Pace ever does right another romance book, I will probably read it. But I probably wouldn't read anything more about Jonah and Vivienne even if there was a plan for another book or novella. I know there's a problem for me with books when I end up liking the secondary characters better than the secondary characters. If you are interested in erotica, I definitely recommend the first book in this series but I can't consciously recommend this book - because I just wasn't a fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment