Thursday, December 29, 2016

Top 15 Books of 2016

Another year has gone by, and I just want to send a huge thank you out to all of our amazing followers! You guys rock, and I appreciate all of your love and support! We’ve grown quite a following over the past year, and if I could, I would give everyone a hug (albeit it would probably be super awkward because a random girl would be coming up to hug you, but that’s just how I roll ;)). Anyway, 2017 is already shaping up to be a GREAT year in reading. I’m super pumped and I’m sure you all are too!

So keeping in tradition, here’s my list of Top 15 Books of 2016. I was originally going to only do 10, but then I had some problems narrowing it down from 13 books. So easy solution, expand to 15 books (because there’s no way I’m doing a book list with 13 books…way too superstitious for those type of shenanigans).  It was still hard to only choose 15 books, but here it goes…

Cassie’s Top 15 Books of 2016

15. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Parts 1 & 2) by John Tiffany, Jack Thorne
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8)

I (like everyone else) was super excited to finally have a new story in the Harry Potter world, and while it wasn’t everything I expected, I still enjoyed this a great deal! Just being back in the Harry Potter world and seeing these characters that we have grown up with was amazing. 

14. One Second (Seven Series #7) by Dannika Dark

One Second (Seven, #7)

The Seven series is seriously such an under-rated series (hint hint…go check it out), so I’m glad that I could include this one on my list this year.  This was an amazing finale, and I was incredibly sad to say goodbye to these characters.  Dannika Dark’s world is utterly fantastic and she has such a great talent. 

13. Night Study (Soulfinders #2) by Maria V. Snyder

Night Study (Soulfinders, #2)

I’ve been a huge fan of Maria Snyder ever since Poison Study first came out, and she has never ceased to impress me when she publishes a new book in the series.  With the last book coming out in January, I’m excited to see how she will bring Yelena and Valek’s story to an end!

12. Defying Shadows (Rising Shadows #3) by Ashley Townsend

Defying Shadows (Rising Shadows #3)

Another under-rated series, but seriously guys…this series is so amazing, and I count myself lucky to have been able to beta-read this one for Ashley.  I was so sad to see the series come to an end, but I couldn’t have asked for a better ending for the characters (even if I did sob uncontrollably over the death of one character)!

11. The Vanishing Throne (The Falconer #2) by Elizabeth May

The Vanishing Throne (The Falconer, #2)

I waited what seemed like forever for this sequel to The Falconer and boy did Elizabeth May deliver! I honestly was surprised because I thought the first one was utterly amazing, but The Vanishing Throne blew my mind.  I can’t wait for the third book to come out because I’m dying to know what will happen to some of my favorite characters!

10. Truthwitch (The Witchlands #1) by Susan Dennard

Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1)

I’m a huge fan of Susan Dennard, so when I originally found out that she was writing a new series I knew that I needed to read it as soon as possible.  This was such an excellent introduction to the series, and I was blown away by the rich world-building and epic fantasy elements. I already have the sequel preordered, and I honestly can’t wait to find out where Susan Dennard is going to go with the story!

9. The Rose and the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn #2) by Renee Ahdieh

The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn, #2)

The follow-up to The Wrath and the Dawn is all I could have wanted from a sequel.  Everything about Renee Ahdieh’s writing is spectacular.  This book swept me away (just like the first one did), and I never wanted it to come to an end!

8. The Power (Titan #2) & The Problem With Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout

The Power (Titan, #2)The Problem with Forever

So I know I’m cheating here by choosing 2 JLA books but I honestly couldn’t choose between them. I would have included the other ones she published this year as well, but I knew that would be going overboard haha. So I narrowed it down to these 2 since they seriously impressed me.  Two way different stories, but both have amazing characters and that classic JLA writing style that is super addictive.  Plus, The Power has Seth, and who doesn’t love that hottie? She has several new books coming out in 2017 and they’re already all preordered! 2017 is definitely going to be good year for books!!

7. Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2) by Leigh Bardugo

Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)

This was such a fantastic sequel to Six of Crows, I could gush for hours. There were some slower parts, but the way Leigh balanced 6 separate POVs so expertly, further built this extraordinary world that she so excellently crafted in the first book, and wrote some of the best character development I have ever read…it made reading this book such an amazing experience.  I can’t even tell you how much you need to read this book, and I can’t wait for future books from her!

6. Honor (The Breaking Point #1) & Charged (Saints of Denver #2) by Jay Crownover

Honor (The Breaking Point, #1)Charged (Saints of Denver, #2)

I know, I know…I’m cheating again :P But seriously, 2 amazing books by Jay Crownover this year, how am I supposed to choose? Honor blew my mind because I never expected to adore Nassir so much. He’s always been this mysterious figure in all of the Welcome to the Point books, and Jay delivered in only the way she can with his story.  Charged was phenomenal as well, and I loved seeing Avett’s story play out.  The chemistry she had with Quaid was undeniable, and I loved being able to watch them grow and help each other. I’m looking forward to the future books that are coming out in both series next year!

5. Vernal (Royal Protector Academy #1) by Randi Cooley Wilson

Vernal (The Royal Protector Academy #1)

So you guys already know how much I love Randi Cooley Wilson (and in case you’re new…I LOVE RANDI COOLEY WILSON!!!) I’m a total fangirl with all of her books, and I never expected to love someone as much as I do Asher St. Michael, but in Vernal, Randi gave us Tristan Gallagher and I just about died. Granted, Asher is still my boy, but Tristan seriously gave him a run for his money!! This book in general was fabulous, and I’m incredibly excited for the sequel that’s coming out in 2017.  The ending of Vernal has set up the story in Aquues so well, and honestly that book can’t come out soon enough because I have no idea what’s going to happen. Knowing Randi, she’s going to break my heart into a thousand pieces leaving me a bumbling mess (she likes the torture she imposes on us readers). But you know what? I’m going to love every single second of it!

4. It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

It Ends with Us

This list wouldn’t be complete without a Colleen Hoover book. You all know I’m a diehard CoHort, and let me tell you…this book broke me. This is such an important book for everyone to read (men and women alike).  It’s powerful, gripping, and something that will make you think.  Plus, when you get to the part when the title finally makes sense, well that’s the part where you need a bajillion tissues and realize the impact of the story such as this. 

3. Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1) by Cassandra Clare

Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1)

Cassandra Clare wrote a new Shadowhunter series…’nuff said.  Obviously I was reading this book because 1) there will never be a time where I don’t read a Cassandra Clare novel, and 2) I ship Jules and Emma so hard it’s not even funny.  This book is seriously incredible, and truly is a standout in this year of books.  It’s very different than her other books, but still has that same Shadowhunter world vibe.  I loved being able to read from the perspective of people who grew up in the Shadowhunter world and Cassandra Clare did a fantastic job at setting up what is sure to be another epic series!

2. Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass #5) by Sarah J. Maas


Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)

Sarah J. Maas is a queen and the ultimate heartbreaker…true story. Seriously, you want your heart to be shattered? Read one of her books. She knows how to write a killer story, and Empire of Storms was a story of epic proportions. The Throne of Glass series is one of those series that you never forget, and this book is certainly no exception. The character development in this story was supreme and just when I thought she couldn’t surprise me, Sarah J. Maas delivered one last mind-blowing twist that really sets up the tone for the final installment in the series. If you haven’t started on this series, you need to immediately (in fact, why are you still reading this because you should be reading the first book already)!

1. A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2) by Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)

A Court of Mist and Fury, more like A Court of Tears and Heartbreak! I can’t even tell you how perfect this book was because there are no words that will adequately illustrate it's perfection. What I can say is that this easily became my most favorite book of the year the minute I read it. I knew that no other book would compare (besides either the third book in the series or another Sarah J. Maas book that is). There were so many lines that I marked because of their sheer beauty (in other words my book is filled to the brim with post-its because of how many quotes I liked).  It’s enchanting and masterfully written, and has Rhysand. Literally, I probably should be in therapy to talk about my love for Rhys (along with all the other characters I’m in love with).  A Court of Mist and Fury is filled with snarky banter, amazing twists, and an ending so brutal that it will rip your heart out. But you’ll be begging for more! I honestly can’t wait until the third book comes out because I know that it’ll be epic, and I can pretty much guarantee that it’s going to be #1 book of 2017. 

-----------

I always love doing this because even though it’s basically the most impossible thing ever to decide, I love being able to gush about some awesome books that came out.  I hope everyone enjoyed it and has some new books to add to their TBR piles!! What are some of your favorite books of 2016? I’m always looking for some book recommendations :) And if anyone has any suggestions for things they would like to see on our blog, let us know!

Have an amazing New Year everyone!! 

~Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment