Wednesday, September 9, 2015

ARC Review: One

One: Sarah Crossan
Publication Date: September 15th, 2015 

Tippi and Grace share everything—clothes, friends . . . even their body. Writing in free verse, Sarah Crossan tells the sensitive and moving story of conjoined twin sisters, which will find fans in readers of Gayle Forman, Jodi Picoult, and Jandy Nelson.

Tippi and Grace. Grace and Tippi. For them, it’s normal to step into the same skirt. To hook their arms around each other for balance. To fall asleep listening to the other breathing. To share. And to keep some things private. The two sixteen-year-old girls have two heads, two hearts, and each has two arms, but at the belly, they join. And they are happy, never wanting to risk the dangerous separation surgery.

But the girls’ body is beginning to fight against them. And soon they will have to face the impossible choice they have avoided for their entire lives.


Besides the beautiful cover, I wanted to read this book because this is a kind of diversity you never really see in a book. I actually didn't know this book was written in verse format when I originally found it or even got it, so I was definitely surprised when I opened it and saw the verse lines in the pages. But don't let that difference deter you! This book is beautifully written and emotional from start to finish  - and you definitely will want to pick this one up! 

“You think we’re partners but really
I’m a parasite,” I whisper.
“I don’t want to suck
Your life from you.”
 

This was the first book I read entirely in verse format. Ugly Love had verses in alternating chapters - and while I thought it was beautiful, I never really heard of another book written in verse format. I must say, I am now a fan of that style of writing. I felt that the verse format really added more emotion to this book than had it been written in narrative form. Tippi and Grace are used to being home schooled - but then their parents lose their jobs and there are not enough funds for them to continue that lifestyle. So, they go to school. Pretty soon, they begin to have more extensive health complications and have to make the choice of whether or not to get the separation surgery - which is a choice they never thought they would have to make. Is this how conjoined twins would really live? I mean I don't really know - I don't know any conjoined twins and I've never watched any documentaries. But I would like to think it seems very realistic. I think Sarah Crossan must have done a great deal of research  in order to make this book so emotional and thought provoking.  

One follows the story of Grace and Tippi and not only their struggles with their medical issues, but struggles with each other and making friends in a school environment. Grace is the narrator and while I like them both, I do think Grace is the right person to narrate the story. She goes through so many internal struggles among wanting to be in love, have friendships, and be her own person but at the same time she's also afraid to separate from her sister - both physically and emotionally. Most of all, I think Sarah Crossan did a fantastic job at showing that Grace and Tippi are individual people. At school, they both meet Jon and Yasmeen who eventually become their good friends. I really liked Jon and Yasmeen and even though they were kind of wild, I thought that they were really good for Grace and Tippi who really didn't have experience with any friendships. 

“Do you promise to live
Without me, if I don’t make it.”
 

This was a truly beautiful story of two sisters trying to do what's best for their family yet still stay true to themselves. I also pre-ordered the finished copy of this book because I liked it so much. With it being written in verse form and so addictive, I found it to be an extremely fast read. I'd definitely recommend this book to those who like contemporaries that deal with darker issues like medical problems and alcohol abuse, but also celebrate the good in life like friendship and family. 


- Jocelyn

10 comments:

  1. I really want to read this one! I had no idea it was in verse, but it sounds like a beautiful story and I hope to read it soon. Lovely review, Jocelyn!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really is such a beautiful story and it's full of wonderful diversity, so I hope you get a chance to move this one up on your TBR list :)

      Delete
  2. I did not know this book was written in verse, I would have been all over it when I seen it on netgalley. Guess I'll have to borrow this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know when I requested the book, either! When I got it - it was so large that I was like oh jeeze this will take me forever to read. But when I opened it everything was in verse and I was surprised because I've never read anything that like that! It set the bar very high for me for books in verse form so I'll have to read some pretty good ones after this!

      Delete
  3. I really want to read this book! Besides the emotion that lies behind it, I'm just really curious to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is such an interesting story as well because I always wondered about conjoined twins but prior to this I've never known much about them. I mean, I still don't think I know much but it's still so intriguing to learn about their life - even if it is fictional :).

      Delete
  4. I loved this book also. So heartbreaking. The way it was written was so amazing! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It was soooo amazing, right? I hope to read more books like this, but it definitely set the bar very high for me as far as books in verse form go.

      Delete
  5. I have the feeling that this book might just break my heart... right now I'm still recovering from another really emotional book ahah so this one might be on my tbr for a while! Lovely review

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.com/2015/09/announcement-etsy-shop.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha ugh I know how that is!! I hope you get a chance to read this one whenever you recover ;)

      Delete