Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Book Review: Retreat (Getaway Series #1)

Retreat (Getaway, #1)About the Book:
Title: Retreat (Getaway Series #1) 
Author: Jay Crownover
Pub. Date: December 28, 2016
Publisher: Jay Crownover

Pages: 364
Rating: 5/5 stars



Synopsis:

Every once in a while, you need to get away from it all.

I was a woman on the edge, shaken and shattered after a breakup that felt like it tore my entire world apart. 

My best friend, sick of watching me drown in misery and melancholy, harassed me until I agreed to go with her on a week-long wilderness retreat.

She promised days spent bonding and getting in touch with our inner bad-asses. 
It was supposed to be all about the two of us roughing it and making do with the bare minimum. She assured me we were going to be pushed to our limits in ways that were unimaginable. Neither one of us could have ever guessed just how right she was.

Nowhere in the glossy brochure did it say anything about the fact I was going to have to battle the insufferable but deliciously rugged and sexy trail guide instead of the elements. The brochure also forgot to mention the part that warned when you left civilization behind, there was no place to pack your inhibitions and fears.

I was told that I would be facing a week where the only thing I should expect was the unexpected. However, no one mentioned that I was going to have to fight for my life…and my heart as soon as I ventured into the unknown. 

I was a pro at hiding from my feelings but when it came time to face a real threat, one that could change everything, I learned I was more of a no surrender, no retreat kind of girl.

Retreat is a standalone novel, the first in the Getaway series which centers on the hardheaded and brokenhearted Warner brothers and the women that dare to love them.

These boys are very good at putting the wild in wilderness.

Review:

Seeing as this was the last book of 2016 that I read, I think it's fitting that it's also the first review of 2017 I write. To say that I was excited to read this book was an understatement. 

description

A surprise book by Jay Crownover just in time for the end of 2016? Heck yes! I got the book as soon as it went live on Amazon, and started reading it almost immediately (I had another book to finish first). I honestly couldn't put this book down because Jay hooked me right from the first page. There is so much to love about this book, and it was so different than her usual style, but I loved it just the same. When authors take risks and write books that are a departure from what readers have come to expect, that is the moment where they truly shine. And this book is certainly no exception to that. Jay's amazing writing and storytelling instantly transports you to the wilderness of Wyoming, and you never want to leave (and why would you with those sexy not-quite cowboys?).
“Sometimes that’s all you have to do to make the best out of a bad situation. You hold on when letting go is so much easier.” 

I love single POV books because it always adds that mystery element to the story, and in Retreat this worked perfectly. I loved seeing the entire story through Leo's perspective, and only getting the glimpses into Cyrus's mind when he chose to share it with Leo. I loved Leo right away (despite Jay's warning that she might take some getting used to). Sure she was a bit negative and had her walls built up high, but she had every right to be given her current situation. Throughout the story, Leo felt incredibly real and relatable, and that's where Jay excels in her characters. Regardless of their situation and other aspects of their life, there is always something that lets you connect with the character on a deeper level. Not many authors can do this as well as Jay can, and it's one of the many reasons I can rely on her books to give me exactly what I need. Leo is a girl with a broken heart, a girl whose ability to trust anyone has been shattered, and most importantly a girl who doesn't believe in herself anymore. I loved watching her become the woman she was meant to be and get that confidence back. Despite everything that happened, she found herself again (and in a lot of ways that was much more important than the man she found while doing that). 
“Sometimes we get more than we asked for because we’ve settled for less for so long. When you pay your dues, you’re bound to be rewarded, eventually.” 

Now let's get onto that sexy cowboy (I wish I didn't just mean that figuratively if you catch my drift)....Cyrus is nothing short of amazing. He's really everything a girl could ask for: rugged, protective, a bit rough around the edges but with a sweet center, and a dirty mouth that would leave any girl fanning herself (and also wanting more). 

description

He definitely isn't your stereotypical cowboy...in fact he only wears a Stetson and cowboy boots unless it's absolutely needed--I'll leave it to your imagination when that is...he's a hero through and through. When he finally opens up to Leo and fills us in on his past, we understand exactly why he acts the way he does. It was honestly heartbreaking to me to hear his story, but it cemented the fact that he and Leo definitely belonged together in the end. They healed each other and was exactly what the other needed. Jay definitely made sure we would be swooning over he not-quite-a cowboy, and believe me, if this is how they grow them in Wyoming, a girl just might be booking a flight rather soon ;)

I think the biggest departure for Jay was writing a western style romantic suspense novel. Sure we've had some exciting/scary/tense moments in her previous series, but this is packed with action and danger like no other. It made for an exciting change of pace, and Jay did an amazing job at weaving the suspense throughout the story. I also think that the side characters deserve a mention here because, as always, they were all excellently crafted and developed. I fell in love with them the same amount I did with our two leads. I honestly can't wait until we can read about Lane and Sutton's stories (Cy's 2 other brothers)...especially because Sutton's story is with Emrys and I need to know how that whole thing is going to play out. 
“The goodbye doesn’t matter. It’s everything that came before the goodbye that is important.” 

I highly recommend reading this book as soon as you can if you're a fan of Jay or are looking for a good western style romance. You'll definitely become a fan of Jay's after reading Retreat if you aren't already. With relatable characters and a fast-paced storyline, this is a must read! I can't wait to see what Jay has in store for us next!!



Happy reading :)

~Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment