Thursday, December 14, 2017

Book Review: There's Someone Inside Your House

About The Book:

  Title: There's Someone Inside Your House
  Author: Stephanie Perkins  
  Pub. Date: September 26th, 2017
  Publisher: Dutton Books for Young Readers
  Pages: 289
  Genre: Young Adult, Horror, Contemporary 
  Rate: 2.5/5 stars 




Synopsis :

Love hurts...

Makani Young thought she'd left her dark past behind her in Hawaii, settling in with her grandmother in landlocked Nebraska. She's found new friends and has even started to fall for mysterious outsider Ollie Larsson. But her past isn't far behind.

Then, one by one, the students of Osborne Hugh begin to die in a series of gruesome murders, each with increasingly grotesque flair. As the terror grows closer and her feelings for Ollie intensify, Makani is forced to confront her own dark secrets.

Review:

I was extremely excited to pick up There's Someone Inside Your House because I know many fans of Ms. Perkins' Anna and the French Kiss series. The basis of this book was enough to have me intrigued - a small town where students start dying in gruesome ways, with no real apparent pattern to the murders. Unfortunately, this book seemed to miss the mark for me in terms of horror stories.

While the murders were creepy, and I was interested enough to find out who the killer was - I just could not get into this book. I initially started this book back in the summer. I got bored and decided to pick it back up around Halloween time, when I'm notoriously more interested in spooky stories. Even with it being Halloween time when I read it, I still wasn't a fan. I couldn't get invested in any of the characters. They were very plain and boring. There were also situations which seemed to serve no other purpose other than to throw more possibilities into 'who could the killer be'.

This wasn't a Halloween hit for me, but I'm sure previous fans of Stephanie Perkins may enjoy it. While the setting and world-building were the real winners here, the characters fell flat. I'm now a little reluctant to pick up her other novels, but I'm hoping I like her contemporary style better than her thriller style. Have you read There's Someone Inside Your House? What are your thoughts?



- Jocelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment