Monday, April 18, 2016

Book Review: Ready Player One

About The Book:

  Title: Ready Player One 
  Author: Ernest Cline 
  Pub. Date: August 16th, 2011 
  Publisher: Random House 
  Pages: 374 
  Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopia, Fantasy 
  Rate: 5/5 stars




Synopsis :

In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the  OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

Review:


“Going outside is highly overrated.”

This book is popular everywhere. It's on the 'best-selling paperback' table at basically any bookstore I go into, whether that be an indie bookstore, BAM, Barnes and Noble, whatever! I have been telling my parents about this book for a pretty long time and this past December I found it under my Christmas tree. While it took me a few months to pick up due to classes and things, once I did, I couldn't stop. Literally I read it so fast and I think I was telling my dad just about every single 80's reference that I knew he would like in the book while simultaneously telling him that even though he doesn't really read books, he should read this one!!

Ready Player One is definitely a science fiction book but it has somewhat of a dystopian backbone. Wade's life is pretty nonexistent and also shitty anywhere but in the OASIS. He's poor and lives in his aunt's trailer with her abusive boyfriend and numerous other people that he doesn't even know. However, even in the OASIS he is often dependent on others for travel and such because some things cost money that he just doesn't have. But he keeps trying to solve the huge "egg hunt" designed by James Halliday, the creator of the OASIS which will ultimately lead someone to his multibillion dollar fortune.

After Wade finds the first clue he starts to meet more people in the OASIS, Art3mis, a girl who almost beat him to finding the first clue. Daito and Shoto, who followed shortly behind them. And a corporation who wants to monetize the OASIS. Who can he trust? Can he trust anyone, even his best friend Aech? Can he stay at the head of the race?

Wade is an unforgettable main character that anyone will like. I'm talking anyone, ok? If you don't like his character I'm totally judging you. IM SORRY! His sarcasm literally made me burst out in laughter multiple times. I wish I could share some of his lines with you but a lot of the most sarcastic lines contain major spoilers and I don't want to be spoiling any of you for this delicious book! My favorite secondary character was Aech, I thought that he was really complex and I really liked the tension that surrounded their friendship with the race to win at risk.

“Being human totally sucks most of the time. 
Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.”

I saw that Tye Sheridan has been cast as Wade Watts for the movie adaptation. While I pictured Wade a tad differently when reading the book, I am extremely pleased with this news. I loved Tye in Mud, and I fell even more in love with his acting when I saw him in the previews for X-Men Apocalypse as Cyclops. Regardless of the movie adaptation, I feel like the book encompasses what fantasy and sci-fi readers love most. We love geeking out over things, which is exactly what this book allows us to do. I feel like no matter how old you are - Ready Player One will allow you 374 pages of just unsolicited geek out time that will prove to be quite cathartic. I highly recommend this book to any gamer, film fan, fantasy/science fiction lover, or just all around 80's fan.


- Jocelyn

3 comments:

  1. Great review. I read this book last year and loved it. It’s so fast-paced and funny.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've read a negative review for this one yet, I hope to get to it this year! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly have seen this EVERYWHERE. The author actually lives IN MY CITY and I have had multiple chances to see him, so I should definitely get to reading this ASAP. Great review!

    Kate @Read and Dream

    ReplyDelete