Friday, March 10, 2017

Book Review: Cradle and All

About The Book:

  Title: Cradle and All 
  Author: James Patterson 
  Pub. Date: September 12th, 2016
  Publisher: Little, Brown and Company  
  Pages: 336 
  Genre: Fiction, Mystery, Thriller 
  Rate: 5/5 stars 




Synopsis :

In Boston, a young woman finds herself pregnant--even though she is still a virgin.
In Ireland, another young woman discovers she is in the same impossible condition.
And in cities all around the world, medical authorities are overwhelmed by epidemics, droughts, famines, floods, and worse. It all feels like a sign that something awful is coming.
Anne Fitzgerald, a former nun turned private investigator, is hired by the Archdiocese of Boston to investigate the immaculate conceptions. Even as she comes to care about and trust the young women, she realizes that both are in great danger. Terrifying forces of light and darkness are gathering. Stepping into uncharted territory where the unknown is just the beginning, Anne must discover the truth--to save the young women, to save herself, and to protect the future of all mankind.

Review:

“Two virgins, born thousands of miles apart.
One girl would bear the Son of God, the Savior. 
The other girl would bear the Son of Satan."



Kathleen
I was never a huge thriller fan, I was always more interested in literally any type of fantasy. However, just the cover alone on this novel captivated me. Lately, I've been in a huge book slump. I'll start a book and not finish it because I become disinterested. This book kept me ON MY TOES from the very beginning. I literally cannot even emphasize. I had so many things I should have been doing for school, but I just couldn't put this book down! From what I've seen, apparently this book was published many different times. The first time it was published under the title "Virgin" and the next time "Cradle and All". The main difference between those editions and the publication that came out last September is that this one apparently is written for a YA audience in mind. I'm not certain this is your typical YA. There is a lot of explicit content in this, but I LOVED it.


"Everywhere, there were clear signs of the Beast's presence"

Kathleen and Colleen were both great characters. Mr. Patterson made differentiating between which would have the son of God and which would have the son of Satan nearly impossible. Both girls seemed perfect in their own way and you end up empathizing tremendously for both of them with what they are going through. While the start of the book gives a huge chunk of time to Kathleen, the latter parts switch between both of their hometowns. Both girls are extremely likable, but not nauseatingly so (you know the type I'm talking about). Personally, I liked's Colleen's story the best, but it might be because I think her hometown was just so cute and adorable - I love Ireland!!

Colleen 
And while this is technically the story of Kathleen and Colleen, Anne plays a huge role and has a unique story herself. Anne is the investigator who is sent to basically figure out "is this is a hoax", which she was expecting it to be. However, pretty quickly she realizes it's not and the question turns from "is this a hoax" to "which is the divine virgin mother". Anne happens to be a former nun, who gave up her vows in part because of a priest she was in love with.

I absolutely loved everything about this book. I thought that the plot was intense and intriguing. Sign me up for any author that I literally can't put the book down.  I am going to try to read the earlier editions of this book - if I can find them that is. And I'm definitely going to keep my open for more James Patterson novels. I think fans of almost any genre can enjoy this book. I hope that you'll give it a try, even if it's not your usual read. It just might surprise you!

"Something or someone is trying to kill me. 
And something or someone wants me alive."




- Jocelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment