Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Book Review: Walk the Edge (Thunder Road #2)


Hey everyone!! Sorry for the absence, but now that I have a bit of a break, I'll definitely be back to posting like normal.  It got super crazy toward the end of my semester, and I barely even got a chance to read...I was dying inside a little every day :( Thankfully, I'll be able to read some more now and get to check out some amazing books that have been on my TBR forever! So without further ado...here's my review for Walk the Edge!


About the Book:
Walk the Edge (Thunder Road, #2)Title: Walk the Edge (Thunder Road #2)
Author: Katie McGarry
Pub. Date: March 29, 2016
Publisher: Harlequin Teen

Pages: 426
Rating: 5/5 stars





Synopsis:
 One moment of recklessness will change their worlds.

Smart. Responsible. That's seventeen-year-old Breanna's role in her large family, and heaven forbid she put a toe out of line. Until one night of shockingly un-Breanna-like behavior puts her into a vicious cyber-bully's line of fire—and brings fellow senior Thomas "Razor" Turner into her life.

Razor lives for the Reign of Terror motorcycle club, and good girls like Breanna just don't belong. But when he learns she's being blackmailed over a compromising picture of the two of them—a picture that turns one unexpected and beautiful moment into ugliness—he knows it's time to step outside the rules.

And so they make a pact: he'll help her track down her blackmailer, and in return she'll help him seek answers to the mystery that's haunted him—one that not even his club brothers have been willing to discuss. But the more time they spend together, the more their feelings grow. And suddenly they're both walking the edge of discovering who they really are, what they want, and where they're going from here.
 

Review:
“It's the danger that makes it fun.” 

Katie McGarry has done it again! I have loved everything that Katie McGarry has written, but this book blew me away. There is so much to love and I can't even begin to tell you how much I adored both Razor and Breanna. Walk the Edgetruly has it all: a plot that draws you in and never lets go, in-depth, well-developed characters, and a romance that is swoon-worthy. I honestly never wanted this book to end because I love being in the worlds that Katie McGarry creates. 

While this is a standalone novel, I definitely recommend reading Nowhere But Here first as you will have a better understanding of the world and the Reign of Terror. However, Katie McGarry does an excellent job at ensuring a reader isn't confused by the different elements of the motorcycle club that Razor belongs to. It's a dangerous, dark, and action-packed world, and I think it's much more appreciated if you read the previous book first. Plus, you get to fangirl when favorite characters return!!

“The boy everyone sees but nobody knows is with the girl who everybody knows but nobody sees.” 

Razor is seriously one of my favorite characters that Katie McGarry has written to date. Don't get me wrong, I love all of the boys she writes (and each is a book boyfriend haha), but Razor felt different than previous characters. He had so much depth, and was extremely well-developed. I felt like I could feel everything he felt and truly knew him by the end of this book. Razor is so strong and protective, but also such a gentleman towards Breanna. Regardless of what is going on, he always is honest and sincere with her, and this was something I greatly appreciated. Razor definitely has a lot of demons, and I loved seeing his growth over the course of the novel...largely due to meeting and being with Breanna. She helped Razor shoulder these demons, but also showed him how to accept the past and move on. Simply put, I adored his character, and I think his character showcases Katie McGarry's supreme talent as an author. 

“If you want out of the box you hide in, then you need to crack open the flaps and bask in some sunlight.” 

Breanna was an equally amazing character. Her brain works in a much different way than others, and due to this, she is mercilessly teased and sequestered. Breanna does have a couple friends, primarily Addison, but when Breanna even feels like an outsider in her own family, well there's very few places she can turn. I thought that Katie McGarry portrayed Breanna's isolation and heartbroken nature very well. My heart broke for her many times while reading. She has dealt with a lot, and it was a struggle for Breanna to see herself as Razor saw her. However, Breanna, with everything she has had to deal with, is truly a fearless character. Obviously this is in her own way, but I admired her strength and courage. Again, being able to witness her growth over the course of the novel was truly amazing. 

“There's a ton you can learn about a person from how they deal with the absence of sound.” 

There is a recurring theme of honesty and trust in this novel. This comes through in multiple ways throughout the story, and both Razor and Breanna struggle with this constantly. I think this is one of the many aspects that made this book so good. The story was extremely realistic and in many ways, relatable. No, we're not all dealing with the same things these characters are dealing with, but all of us can relate to struggles with trust, honesty, and loyalty. I think every person who reads this book can take away something unique to them, and isn't that the sign of a remarkable book?

“This is heartbreaking and consuming and addictive. It’s terrifying and peaceful, crazy and serene. It’s a million things in one brief moment and it’s something I don’t understand and never want to live without.” 

Overall, this is truly one of the best books Katie McGarry has written to date, and every reader will quickly fall in love with Razor and Breanna. Filled with action, danger, and a steamy romance, Walk the Edge has it all, and is definitely a must-read for fans of Katie McGarry (and everyone if I'm being honest). I can't wait to read the next books in this series because I know that whatever Katie McGarry writes, it will be amazing!


Happy reading :)

~Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment