Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Book Review: Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2)

About The Book:

  Title:  Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2) 
  Author: Marie Lu 
  Pub. Date: January 2nd, 2018
  Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers 
  Pages: 272  
  Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Superheroes 
  Rate: 4/5 Stars 




Synopsis :

Before he was Batman, he was Bruce Wayne. A reckless boy willing to break the rules for a girl who may be his worst enemy.

The Nightwalkers are terrorizing Gotham City, and Bruce Wayne is next on their list.

One by one, the city's elites are being executed as their mansions' security systems turn against them, trapping them like prey. Meanwhile, Bruce is turning eighteen and about to inherit his family's fortune, not to mention the keys to Wayne Enterprises and all the tech gadgetry his heart could ever desire. But after a run-in with the police, he's forced to do community service at Arkham Asylum, the infamous prison that holds the city's most brutal criminals.

Madeleine Wallace is a brilliant killer . . . and Bruce's only hope.

In Arkham, Bruce meets Madeleine, a brilliant girl with ties to the Nightwalkers. What is she hiding? And why will she speak only to Bruce? Madeleine is the mystery Bruce must unravel. But is he getting her to divulge her secrets, or is he feeding her the information she needs to bring Gotham City to its knees? Bruce will walk the dark line between trust and betrayal as the Nightwalkers circle closer.
Review:

When I heard that there was going to be an entire series based on DC Superheroes, I was instantly excited. I find the Justice League infinitely more interesting than the Avengers. However, last year when I started reading Wonder Woman: Warbringer, my hopes plummeted. I didn't like it and actually DNF'd it. This was so disappointing to me because not only do I love Wonder Woman, I LOVE Leigh Bardugo! But, when I hear Bruce Wayne is doing community service at Arkham Asylum, I obviously have to pick up the book.

In this rendition of Batman, Bruce Wayne is a teenager and gets in trouble with the police for disobeying orders. His punishment? Community service at Arkham Asylum. It is here that he meets Madeleine Wallace - uncategorized member of the Nightwalkers, and she will only talk to one person - Bruce. The Nightwalkers have been wreaking havoc all over Gotham by stealing from and killing the wealthy. Bruce believes that if he can get her to open up to him, he can help stop the Nightwalkers. 

"You have a heavy heart, for someone with everything" 

I really liked this novel. The plot was very fast-paced and I buzzed through this book in a day and a half. I thought it was a pretty accurate vision of Bruce Wayne as a teenager, though he seemed a tad more upbeat and merciful than I thought Bruce would have been. It was fun seeing appearances from Harvey Dent, Alfred Pennyworth, and Lucius Fox and getting a crash-course in the awfulness that is Arkham Asylum. 

This was my first novel I read from Marie Lu and I definitely enjoyed it! I have all of her others on my TBR, I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet. I know this is the second book in this series, and there are two more coming involving Selina Kyle and Clark Kent. I do wonder, though if there will be more to the series? I could only hope because I'd love to read more about these heroes as teenagers! If you are a fan of the superheroes, especially the Justice League I definitely recommend this book to you! It's a fun, fast read that you will for sure enjoy! 


- Jocelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment