Thursday, July 20, 2017

Book Review: Long Way Home (Thunder Road #3)

Long Way Home (Thunder Road, #3)About the Book:
Title: Long Way Home (Thunder Road #3)
Author: Katie McGarry
Pub. Date: January 31, 2017
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 448
Rating: 5/5 stars

Synopsis:

Seventeen-year-old Violet has always been expected to sit back and let the boys do all the saving.

It’s the code her father, a member of the Reign of Terror motorcycle club, raised her to live by. Yet when her dad is killed carrying out Terror business, Violet knows it’s up to her to do the saving. To protect herself, and her vulnerable younger brother, she needs to cut all ties with the club—including Chevy, the boy she’s known and loved her whole life.

But when a rival club comes after Violet, exposing old secrets and making new threats, she’s forced to question what she thought she knew about her father, the Reign of Terror, and what she thinks she wants. Which means re-evaluating everything: love, family, friends . . . and forgiveness.

Caught in the crosshairs between loyalty and freedom, Violet must decide whether old friends can be trusted—and if she’s strong enough to be the one person to save them all.

Review:

“Sometimes people choose the harder path just to prove they can do it.” 

It's no secret how much I love Katie McGarry and the Thunder Road series, but I think this one just might be my favorite!! I have been waiting desperately for Chevy and Violet's story, and boy did Ms. McGarry deliver!! I never expected this story to have the impact that it did, but this was well worth the wait. I honestly loved every single second of this book and never wanted to put it down. I was on the edge of my seat so many times, and was finding myself desperate to find out just where all of the events in this story were headed. I couldn't focus on anything else...and because of that, I read this in one sitting. And that's how I would recommend reading this novel because trust me...you don't want to stop until the very end. 

“Ignoring our problems won’t make them go away. We’re playing a dangerous game, and I’ll be honest, I don’t know how many more hits I can take.”
“You want me to walk away?”
“No,” she says quietly. “I never wanted you to walk away. I need you, but I don’t know how to be with you. You need me, but you don’t know how to be with me either.” 

If you couldn't tell, this book is addicting. Chevy and Violet have such an amazing story together and Katie McGarry wove their story beautifully. I fell in love with these characters when they were first introduced, but I fell even deeper after reading this book. The one thing I adored about this book is the pacing. It's nonstop thrills from start to finish. There was always something that kept the reader engaged and begging for more. I mean the first few chapters alone are heart-stopping! The other thing that I loved is how many dimensions there are to this story. Katie McGarry has always been good at this, but with Long Way Home this talent comes into play even more. There is so much going on and every little thing becomes important in the end. Ms. McGarry seamlessly incorporates everything, all the while the reader is interested and hanging on every written word. 

“I thought loving people was supposed to be easy,” he says quietly. “But it’s the hardest thing I’ve done. I wish I knew how to love you right.”
“I’ve told you how to love me. You aren’t willing to love me how I need to be loved.” 

Obviously, my absolute favorite part of this book is the 2 main characters: Chevy and Violet. Chevy is simply swoonworthy. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love him and if there is a real-life Chevy out there, please come and find me! My heart melted time and time again with the love and respect he had for Violet. It was clear from the get go how much her cared for her, but he is also just plain awesome. Chevy isn't afraid to show his emotions and how much their breakup affected him. He's tender, protective, and willing to go to great lengths when he needs to. But I also loved his development throughout the story. Ms. McGarry showed us this character who went out there and figured out how to make things work for himself. No it might not be in the way everyone expects, but he figured out what he wanted from his life and managed to actually obtain it.

“I am not your property, I am not a dog … I am your equal, and I deserve the love and respect that comes with that because that’s what a real man does when he loves a woman.” 

Violet is one of the best female characters I have ever read. She is feisty and strong, independent and loyal. She is exactly the type of female character all young girls should look up to. Her strength is what truly made this book extra special to me. Violet stood up for herself time and time again throughout the story. She knew what was best not only for her, but also for her family, and went out there and fought for that. Violet didn't just give into what everyone expected of her. She set out on her own to show that she could become more than just another female in the MC. Violet shows all women that you never have to silence yourself. As a woman, your opinions, your thoughts, you actions...they all matter and are/should be valued. She makes all women remember that you need to find and surround yourself with the people who will allow you to do all of the things I just mentioned, and be there to pick you up (or help you pick yourself up) when you fall down. 

“I love you. I always have, always will. I understand the promises you’re talking about and I understand why you can’t make them, but I’m going to make a promise to you. No matter which way this plays out, I promise to love you and do my best to make sure whatever path we go down together or separately will be the one that hurts you the least.” 

Even though things were originally rocky between Violet and Chevy, they never stopped being loyal to each other. And this was something that I admired on both of their parts. It was clear Violet and Chevy still loved each other, but they needed to find themselves before they could come together again. That was the beauty in their relationship because they allowed the other to do just that, but also helped the other person along the way. Slowly but surely they found their way back to each other, and when their love was rekindled it ignited and created an inferno that could never be put out. 

“As much as you want to, you can’t take all our pain away. Hurting, it’s a part of life, and if you try to stop any of us from being in pain, that means you’re not allowing us to actually live.” 

I never expected to love a book about MCs as much as I did, but Katie McGarry blew me away with this series. We see a crossover between the Pushing the Limits series and this series, which means there is the return of one of my all time favorite boys, Isaiah!! And trust me, you will be amazed at the twist that brings him into the story. Katie McGarry will never disappoint in her writing an excellent YA story, and I can't wait to read whatever she writes next! You do not want to miss out on the epic story of Chevy and Violet!

Happy reading :)

~Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment