Thursday, June 18, 2015

Demons at Deadnight (The Divinicus Nex Chronicles #1)

Since 2 books are out in this amazing series, and I'm new to blogging, I wanted to spread the word about the Divinicus Nex Chronicles Series.  This is a must read series and something you will not miss on!  I'll review the next book tomorrow, so stayed tuned!!

Demons at Deadnight (Divinicus Nex Chronicles #1) by A & E Kirk
Publication Date: January 7, 2012

For seventeen-year-old Aurora Lahey, survival is a lifestyle.

DEMONIC DESTINY
Aurora has the crappiest superpower on the planet. And it’s just unleashed a hit squad from hell. Demons are on the hunt, salivating to carve her carcass into confetti.

CHARISMATIC KILLERS
The Hex Boys—mysterious, hunky, and notorious for their trails of destruction—have the answers Aurora needs to survive. But their overload of deadly secrets and suspicious motives makes trusting them a potentially fatal move.

LETHAL ALLIES
The battle to save her family, herself, and stop demonic domination may cost Aurora everything worth living for, and force her to reveal her own dark secrets. But no worries. She needs the Hex Boys to pull this off, and, chances are, teaming up with these guys will get her killed anyway.

 

I'll try not to give many spoilers in this review, but I can't make any promises. This book was wonderful! My mom had read this before me, and told me how great is was, but I kept putting it off. Well, I really wish I wouldn't have put it off so long because I have nothing but compliments about the book.

One of the things I really appreciated about this book was the language. Aurora talked how a snarky teenager would talk, with her sharp and witty comebacks, and the boys talked exactly how guys talk (at least the guys I know). The book itself was hilarious. There were multiple times I was laughing out loud, and was almost in tears because I was laughing so hard. The other thing that I noticed was that this book was very well edited. I didn't see many mistakes, and I really appreciated that. In a time of most publishers relying only on SpellCheck, which leads to books being full of mistakes (both grammatical and spelling), it was refreshing to see a well-edited book.

The mysterious Hex Boys are a whole other story. At first, I was worried that with six different guys in the picture, there would be a love hexagon or something. Also, I was worried about keeping each boy straight. However, each guy had his own unique personality, and felt so real that I didn't have to worry at all. I loved each one of the Hex Boys, including Matthias. I thought it was adorable how Aurora's little sister took to him. There is definitely more to Matthias than meets the eye. Jayden always provided humor for me because of his logical talk. I especially loved the scene where him and Aurora first met, and discussed eggs (that scene will have me cracking up, pardon the pun, again and again). Ayden was just amazing, and I am definitely on Team Ayden. My only complaint was that there wasn't enough Logan and Tristan in the book. I felt that the other Boys received more attention, and hope there is some more of those two Boys in the next book.

This book is definitely a hidden gem, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes fun, snarky heroines, and is ready to become spellbound by the Hex Boys (they will be in your dreams every night after you read this).  Here are some of the many hilarious lines to look forward to:


“I launched into a graceful ninja-like front roll, then stood my ground to face the monstrous heathen, fearless in my determination to vanquish the deadly foe. Nah, just kidding. I bolted, discretion being the better part of not getting dead.” 

“Wish I could say it was a deviously clever move, but the truth is I’ve got grace management issues.”  

“It would probably strip my flesh while giving me vocabulary lessons. I'd be dead but smarter. How's that for glass half full?” 

Seriously...how do you not love this book already?  Go read!

Happy reading :)

~Cassie

2 comments:

  1. A five star read. I need it! It sounds cool although I have to admit the cover font threw me. Petty, I know. I'm going to look into this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha trust me, I know what you mean. But it's definitely worth checking out :)

      ~Cassie

      Delete