Friday, May 15, 2015

Between Us and the Moon

Between Us and the Moon: Rebecca Maizel
Publication Date: June 30th 

Ever since Sarah was born, she’s lived in the shadow of her beautiful older sister, Scarlett. But this summer on Cape Cod, she’s determined to finally grow up. Then she meets gorgeous college boy Andrew. He sees her as the girl she wants to be. A girl who’s older than she is. A girl like Scarlett.

Before she knows what’s happened, one little lie has transformed into something real. And by the end of August, she might have to choose between falling in love, and finding herself.


I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not a huge fan of contemporary novels. I'm really picky with them, and some contemporary novels just really bug me because they are so cliche! By this description, this book also seems like it fits that contemporary YA cliche, but I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I felt like Between Us and the Moon was more dynamic than your normal YA romance, and it focused on what is actually important in a high schooler's life instead of just drama and love. 

I totally feel for Sarah. Her whole family doesn't get her love for science and why she'd rather study than go out and party. They basically make her feel like something is wrong with her just because they don't understand what she's doing. She kind of yearns for anyone to appreciate her. Even though she acts immature and childish at times, a lot of it is warranted. I can totally see why she would act that way. The characters in this book are so multidimensional. While most of the story is the love story between Andrew and Sarah, there is almost a secondary story between Sarah and Scarlett and their relationship with each other. 

Sarah meets Andrew while she is spying on Scarlett, so he happens to be in Scarlett's group of friends. Andrew is 4 years older than Sarah, and like I said before she just wants someone to accept her for her. When she realizes Andrew is accepting her for her, she thinks she is too deep in the lie and doesn't know how to get out of it. It's definitely one of those books where a bunch of lies pile up to one heart wrenching moment. Andrew is a perfect guy. If you read this book, you will totally love him. He is damaged but yet he still wants to love Sarah and open himself to her. He doesn't push her to do anything she doesn't want to do, he just lets it happen on it's own time. I want my own Andrew. 



"'You sure you won't be sick of me?' I ask and clear my throat. I unlatch the car door.
'You?' he says with a smile. 'Never.'"

I am satisfied how this novel wrapped up in every aspect except her and Andrew. I wish there would have been more of an epilogue showing what was to come. I definitely was not pleased, but I guess the little epilogue there was is better than leaving it without it. If you like romances, stories about siblings, or even coming of age stories, I would recommend this book to you. I think it's great that this book is coming out in June because I think it would be so fun to read at the beach or by the pool - it's just a great summer read in general! This book definitely has me reconsidering my indifference for contemporary novels. 


2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for this one! I'm a HUGE contemporary fan, but I will agree, some romance stories have the tendency to go the " cliche route " and I'm soo happy Between Us And The Moon didn't jump on that wagon. I always enjoy a story where the main character is a young girl with her head on straight. She'd much rather study than do anything else is so adorable to me, so I can't wait to say how much I like Sarah. I like how there's going to be a bit of drama surrounding all the lying Sarah has to do, so I really need to bump this up on my TBR! Great review J!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I definitely think that if you like contemporary that you'll love this!! It's definitely refreshing for a main character to have her head on straight, that's not what I usually read in contemporary. I hope you get a chance to read it soon!

      Delete