Tuesday, January 23, 2018

ARC Review: Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)

About The Book:

  Title: Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1) 
  Author: A.C. Gaughen 
  Pub. Date: January 30th, 2018
  Publisher: Bloomsbury
  Pages: 448
  Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
  Rate: 4.5/5 stars 




Synopsis :

Shalia is a proud daughter of the desert, but after years of devastating war with the adjoining kingdom, her people are desperate for peace. Willing to trade her freedom to ensure the safety of her family, Shalia becomes Queen of the Bonelands.

But she soon learns that her husband, Calix, is motivated only by his desire to exterminate the Elementae—mystical people who can control earth, wind, air, and fire. Even more unsettling are Shalia’s feelings for her husband’s brother, which unleash a power over the earth she never knew she possessed—a power that could get her killed. As rumors of a rebellion against Calix spread, Shalia must choose between the last chance for peace and her own future as an Elementae.

Review:

This book was one huge surprise for me. I'm going to be completely, utterly honest right now. I had this book since BEA 2017, and just read it. Why? The synopsis reminded me maybe of Throne of Glass or Red Queen - which personally, I am just not a fan of. However, perusing some Goodreads ratings made me change my mind. And after reading this book, I can tell you it's more like Kiss of Deception meets An Ember in the Ashes - but in a completely unique and original way. Shalia trades her freedom for the freedom of the desert, only to become the bride of Calix, the ruthless ruler of the Bonelands. 

At first Calix seems like a decent enough guy - a little controlling, but I'm holding out hope for a fantasy anti-hero type (hello Darkling). But no, he's just a jackass. An overall horrible person, who wants to exterminate The Elementae because they threaten his reign. By the way, The Elementae are people with special elemental powers.  So, earth, wind, water, etc. I assume you can predict based on the name. And I will say, this is still a love story. A hot and steamy one, at that. I'm not sure what kept me more intrigued - the love story or the fantasy aspects. They are equally addicting. Anyway, Shalia is soon to become your favorite YA protagonist. She is an advocate of women's rights and independence, I empathized with her since the first chapter. And I wanted to destroy Calix, ugh! You will too!

"You can't control your heart. You can only trust it." 

Would I recommend this book for high school students? Hmm, probably not. I could actually see it being banned in a lot of schools due to it's darker themes and trigger warnings. But this isn't me reviewing it as a psychologist, this is me reviewing it as a book lover. And Reign of Earth completely surprised me - in a great way. This is easily going to be one of the best fantasy novels of 2018. Reign the Earth is a feminist fantasy novel that will keep you on your toes. The 448 pages will seriously fly by before your eyes. For fans of Sabaa Tahir and Mary E. Pearson, The Elementae is an upcoming series you will be hearing more of in the coming months.



- Jocelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment