Thursday, May 18, 2017

Book Review: A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns & Roses #3)

A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)About the Book:
Title: A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children Books
Pub. Date: May 2, 2017
Pages: 699
Rating: 5/5 stars



Synopsis:

Looming war threatens all Feyre holds dear in the third volume of the #1 New York Times bestselling A Court of Thorns and Roses series.

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit-and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords-and hunt for allies in unexpected places.

In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series from Sarah J. Maas, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all.
 

Review:

“When you erupt, girl, make sure it is felt across worlds.” 

I seriously have no idea where to even begin with this review. I'm going to try not to include any spoilers, but if there are any, I'll give you fair warning before reading further. Honestly, I am absolutely blown away by this novel and it took me several days to adjust to the world after finishing this beautiful book. I honestly don't know how SJM can top this book, but let's get real here...she will because she's just that amazing. I read this in one sitting overnight because I simply couldn't put it down. It's true, this book is a Court of Pain and Feels but it is absolutely mindblowing and I felt incomplete after finishing. SJM seriously took her writing to new heights, and I can't even begin to explain how fantastic it was to experience this journey.

“The great joy and honour of my life has been to know you. To call you my family. And I am grateful - more than I can possibly say - that I was given this time with you all.” 

I have been such a fan of this series from the very beginning because I always felt that it showed Sarah J. Maas' extreme writing talent. It's so different from the Throne of Glass series, and I loved the creativity and dedication that she puts into this story. You can clearly tell just how much all of these characters mean to her, and every scene is richly described. Her writing truly sweeps you away and it's something that you easily lose yourself in. I know that if someone would ask me tomorrow to leave this world behind and instead go into Feyre's world, I would not even hesitate. This story is complex and I never expected for SJM to build on the world so much more than previously, but she does, and it's excellent. There is a great progression to the story, and this means new faces and new places come into play all while still developing our beloved characters.

“What we think to be our greatest weakness can sometimes be our biggest strength.” 

The book starts with Feyre back in the Spring Court with Tamlin. While some people might have found this part slow, I think it showcased just how far Feyre has come as a character. The strength that it took to go back and set the foundation for her (and Rhysand's) plot was utterly fantastic! I think it helped set up the story perfectly and it showed us Feyre's mindset at the time. I definitely got some Aelin feels in this part because of how awesome and kickass Feyre was, which just added to my love for her character. But the best thing: Feyre's characterization. I thought she was well-developed already, but SJM added yet another layer to her character. Feyre is such a strong and powerful character and has come such a long way since the first book. Looking back, I can't even believe that this is the same person...and that is an excellent thing. It shows how much Rhys and the Night Court have impacted her and aided her in the person she was to ultimately become. 

“I would have waited five hundred more years for you. A thousand years. And if this was all the time we were allowed to have... the wait was worth it.” 

Rhys is as perfect as ever. I mean come on...who doesn't love him?! The way he treats Feyre made me swoon every darn time, and she is his High Lady in every single way. He gives her something that Tamlin never did...respect. He believes in her and that she can accomplish amazing thing. He allows her to spread her wings (<-- this is an excellent pun btw...I know I'm really not as funny as I think) and embrace her magic. The constant support and love Rhys shows her is something every girl should have. Plus, he's freaking hilarious...you can't get a better man! I honestly will never get enough of him and he will always stay firmly in my top 5 book boyfriends. Obviously the chemistry between Feyre and Rhys is off the charts, and all the sex scenes are perfectly written. I love them together so much, it just makes my heart happy. 

“It's a rare person to face who they are and not run from it - not be broken by it.” 

Cassian and Nesta are brilliant and I firmly believe that they will be a focus in one of the upcoming books. I need them together, and I need to have a book with them as the main characters because it will be such an epic story! They have the perfect dynamic that is present throughout the entire book. We learn more about Mor, and my heart broke for her multiple times. I just wanted to give her a giant hug, but I loved delving deeper into her character. Azriel is brooding as ever, but I love him. There is definitely something up with him and Elain, and I need to know what that something is. Amren's sass is pure gold and I love her so much. There are definitely some surprises with her character that left me (along with the characters) shocked. We also meet a new High Lord, Helion and god do I love him! He has to be in these next 3 books because he's awesome. We also see the return of the Bone Carver and the Suriel. And seriously...they play epic roles in the story. And Tamlin...I have to mention this guy. I actually liked how SJM handled him in this book (especially at the end). It was realistic and believable. And (Lord help me), I didn't hate him anymore. 

“My rage had become a living thing inside my chest, an echoing heartbeat that soothed me to sleep and stirred me to waking.” 

My favorite part about this book though (besides all the other stuff) is its unpredictability. Seriously, SJM gave me a heart attack multiple times. Just when I thought the story was going in one direction and bombshell twist would come out of nowhere and completely change the entire story. And there was not 1, not 2, but 3 major things at the end in which I was freaking out and making very weird noises that I'm sure my neighbors in my apartment building did not appreciate. The one MAJOR (and I mean MAJOR) thing involving a certain character at the end had me with tears in my eyes and my face the picture of shock. I seriously have never been more scared for a character in my life, and I was praying so hard that SJM didn't do what she did. I think I stopped breathing at one point, so HOW DARE YOU SARAH J MAAS!! HOW DARE YOU SCARE ME LIKE THAT! 

“It is a new world, and we must decide how we are to end this old one and begin it anew.” 

If you couldn't tell, I LOVED this book! I still am not okay after reading the entire battle since SJM made me lose my mind, but everything was tied up nicely and the conclusion was everything I could want. Most of the main questions were answered, but she definitely planted the seeds for a new foe for our group to be facing. I think it would be interesting if the books were from different characters' perspectives, but I'm never going to mind more Feyre and Rhys. This is by far the best read of 2017, and you need to read it as soon as humanly possible!


Happy reading :)

~Cassie

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :P! Unfortunately i didn't really LOVE this book as much as i hoped i would...for me there were just so many similarities between her ToG series and this book so i found it quite predictable :/ I still liked it though :)
    Kariny @kariny's book frenzy

    ReplyDelete